We've made a minor, but exciting, change to the prize structure this year. We will continue to award a grand prize for the highest scoring bird, in addition to that, however; we will also have an award for the highest scoring single bearded bird. We hope this change will make the spring turkey season more exciting! We can't wait to see your birds!
Youth/Apprentice – Two Day Contest
- Mouth or Slate Call
- Turkey Decoy
Regular Season – Highest Scoring Bird
- Stoeger M3000 APG Camo 12g
- Turkey Mount from James Braswell's Whitetail Taxidermy
Regular Season – Highest Scoring Single Beard Bird
- $200 RedNex Gift Card
Regular Season – 2nd Place overall
- $100 RedNex Gift Card
Regular Season – 3rd Place overall
- $50 RedNex Gift Card
- Eligible hunters must be signed in and have entry fee paid by 7pm on the Friday before Opening Day.
- Youth/ Apprentice (15& under) - $10 – Two Day Contest – April 2&3, 2016
- Regular Season - $20 – April 9 – May 14, 2016
- Turkey must be killed during the general hunting season.
- Eligible turkeys must be killed east of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Entries must be legal as defined by the VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
- Turkeys killed within a fence or any other confined areas are not eligible to enter contest. Turkeys that were EVER kept inside a pen for breeding purposes or any other reason are NOT allowed. Turkeys that are tagged or tattooed for breeding purposes are NOT allowed. Turkeys cannot have been raised in a fenced-in area and released. Turkeys considered tame, domesticated or pet are NOT allowed.
- Hunter must present valid hunting license and picture ID.
- Measurement must be made within 24 hours of kill and no later than noon on Monday, May 16, 2016.
- For measurement, the hunter must bring in the ENTIRE BODY.
- MEASUREMENT LOCATIONS: RedNex Sporting Goods, 1309 Tappahannock Blvd, Tappahannock, VA 22560
- Winners are decided by the total score according to the contest’s point system using the NWTF Turkey Scoring Calculator – http://www.nwtf.org/hunt/records/score
- Turkey’s Weight – lbs/oz.
- Spur length – Left and Right
- Beard length – the longest hair will be used for measurement
- Tiebreakers will be determined by the longest beard.
- In the case of a tie still remaining, the length of the beard on its own will be the determining factor
- All measurements are rounded off to the nearest 1/16 inch.
- Once measured, a turkey cannot be measured by another measurer unless authorized by the contest committee.
- In the case of a tie after the tiebreaker, winners will be challenged to a duel using the weapons of choice; or the committee will choose another method – your choice.
- Hunters attempting to cheat in the Spring Turkey Contest or violating Virginia Game Laws are disqualified and barred from entering this contest for life
- No more than one prize will be awarded to any registered hunter. A hunter's second turkey is valid only if it outscores first turkey.
- All decisions of the contest committee are final. No whining. Whiners will be disqualified.