With any turkey season getting ready to start comes our annual Spring Turkey Contest. We've heard stories of the big birds some of you have been stalking over the years, and can't wait to see what you bring in for scoring. Who will be the big winner this year?
Want to sign up? Click --> here
We've made a couple of changes to our contest this year:
1. We will be available to score your birds on Sundays - however you'll need to contact us via Facebook messenger to set up a time to meet us at the store between 9am-12pm.
2. We want to see your birds(!!!) - so we've added another prize category. Anytime a bird is brought in for scoring, your name will be added to a drawing for a $100 RedNex Gift Card. No bird to small!! Let's see them!
Youth/Apprentice – Two Day Contest
- Mouth Call
- $50 RedNex Gift Card
- Stoeger M3500 Camo 12g
- $200 Wall-Hangers Taxidermy Gift Card
Regular Season – Highest Scoring Single Beard
- $200 RedNex Gift Card
- ** If Highest Scoring Single beard is ALSO the Highest scoring bird, the second highest scoring single bearded bird will win this prize
Regular Season – Bird Scoring Drawing
- $100 RedNex Gift Card
- Name entered into drawing each time a bird is brought in for scoring
- Eligible hunters must be signed in and have entry fee paid by 7pm on the Friday before Opening Day.
---Youth/ Apprentice (15& under) - $10 – Two Day Contest – April 1&2, 2017
---Regular Season - $20 – April 8 – May 13, 2017
- Turkey must be killed during the general hunting season and follow all VDGIF rules. Click here for regulations.
- Eligible turkeys must be killed east of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Entries must be legal as defined by the VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
- Turkeys killed within a fence or any other confined areas are not eligible to enter contest. Turkeys that were EVER kept inside a pen for breeding purposes or any other reason are NOT allowed. Turkeys that are tagged or tattooed for breeding purposes are NOT allowed. Turkeys cannot have been raised in a fenced-in area and released. Turkeys considered tame, domesticated or pet are NOT allowed.
- Hunter must present valid hunting license and picture ID. Hunting licenses can be purchased at RedNex Sporting Goods.
- Measurement must be made within 24 hours of kill and no later than noon on Monday, May 15, 2017.
- For measurement, the hunter must bring in the ENTIRE BODY.
- MEASUREMENT LOCATIONS: RedNex Sporting Goods, 1309 Tappahannock Blvd, Tappahannock, VA 22560
- Sunday Scoring: Must contact RedNex via Facebook Messenger to arrange scoring between hours of 9-12 only.
- Winners are decided by the total score according to the contest’s point system using the NWTF Turkey Scoring Calculator
1. Turkey’s Weight – lbs./oz.
2. Spur length – Left and Right
3. Beard length – the longest hair will be used for measurement
4. Tiebreakers will be determined by the longest beard.
- In the case of a tie still remaining, the length of the beard on its own will be the determining factor
- All measurements are rounded off to the nearest 1/16 inch.
- Once measured, a turkey cannot be measured by anyone else unless authorized by the contest committee.
- In the case of a tie after the tiebreaker, winners will be challenged to a duel using the weapons of choice; or the committee will choose another method – your choice.
- Hunters attempting to cheat in the Spring Turkey Contest or violating Virginia Game Laws are disqualified and barred from entering this contest for life.
- No more than one prize will be awarded to any registered hunter. A hunter's second turkey is valid only if it outscores first turkey.
- All decisions of the contest committee are final. No whining. Whiners will be disqualified.
Good Luck to you all!!!